Vijay TV’s Super Singer was a mess-up this week.
– The show organisers formed three groups, Chennai, Kovai and Madurai. Each had five participants.
– On Friday, one from each group was eliminated except for the Chennai group.
– Harish, one of the best singers in the whole competition, from the Chennai team, walked out of the contest for personal reasons. It’s probably the same with Archana Iyer too.
– The groups were askd to perform two songs. One to show their harmony strengths. Two for the creativity.
– Chennai team performed Pachai Niramey and Madapura[Pathiban Kanavu]. Gowtham Bharadhwaj making those romantic twists, in the beginning of Madapura, seemed silly. Gowtham is a fantastic singer except that he is super artificial when he talks. And I think, he believes that he is probably the only good looking guy in the contest.
– Kovai team did a fantastic job of performing Kurukku Chirthavaley and Sorgam Enbathu Namakku. The Sorgam song rocked given the fact that they were dancing and singing it. Swathi of Kovai team is one helluva singer.
– Madurai team also did a good job. They sang Pani Vizhum Iravu and Kaatril Varum Geethamey. Rajini and Anitha are probably the best singers of this team.
– Vani Jayaram, who was chief guest for this week’s show, didn’t enjoy the dancing and singing of Kovai team. She voted Madurai team as the best group singing team. And I think that wasn’t right in my opinion. Kovai was the best. One could see that from the reactions of Anuradha Sriram and Sreenivas.
– After all this, the lousy thing happened. As a part of their elimination strategy, each contestant was asked to vote-out one of their group members. This was only for the Chennai and Kovai as they lost out to Madurai Team. The results are to be announced next week.
If only Chinmayee, who is MCing the show, could shout a little less especially the bramandamaana kural thedal bit, a little bit, it might seem much better. Gayathri Jayaram on the other hand, in hosting the Vijay TV’s Grand Master show shouts her soul out. Shouting seems to be an essential quality for becoming a TV host in Tamil media.