Update – Usually an update is done at the end of a post. This is to show that I do budge for the dynamic comments that are springing-up on this post and those 3 long-time friends who wrote emails about this blog post.
One – I am not sure after seeing the movie, if I will agree/dis-agree with this ‘comment-turned-review’. I could be wrong enough to put the review but wasn’t it rightly named as Breaking news quick review and not a Roeper-Ebert’s Analyzed review.
Two – It’s pasted here as a review not because I don’t like the movie. I was probably the first on the blogosphere to show love(!!) on Ghajini, when the movie was announced and my adoration towards Murugadoss’ skills. Read this blogpost dated Feb 12, 2005, Surya and Murugadas join hands for Gajini. BTW, where is this breaking news dude, a lot of them are searching for him desperately. Deivamey(!!) enga poiteenga ??
Alert If you really want to read the quick review after all this hungama, click the link below. Else join the fun by reading only the comments here.
My sevudaa ponna ears are just limping back to Normal after watching Gajini @MayaJaal.
* The background music is horrible – Why is it that Music Directors, even good ones like HJ, seem to produce their best only when the director is also good ? The extremely loud bg music is very jarring, esp with sound system in the hands of the guy who seems to be the cousin of the sound operator at Satyam ;-). Even the songs that sound good are jarring in the theatre.
* Whatever happened to villains who can actually speak in Tamil ? or act for that matter ?They seem to be going the way of actresses. Double villain combo + Villain himself – not very convincing.
* I heard a couple of college students discussing the level of Violence in the movie and wondering if it had a ‘A’ rating for violence. It’s pretty violent in places.
* First half is pretty is a bit of drag and the college crowd had a field day finishing the lines ahead of the actors, with their wise cracks etc. Very loose and noticeably sags, esp with the dumb story line about Asin not knowing who Sanjay Ramasamy is. During the interval that all the college students were cracking short-term-memory loss jokes.
* Good bubbly performace from Asin – I just saw Ullam Ketkume two days back. The difference from her first movie is obvious, especially the amount of work that has gone into re-doing her face 😀
* Surya despite attempts by Murugadoss to screw him, turns in a good performance – After Ayidha Ezhuthu, Madan (cartoonist + madan’s thirai paarvai) said that Surya can never over act again. I am surprised by how well he underplays his role and with good effect. Poor guy just needs a good break.
* I haven’t seen Memento. Not sure how much was copied/inspired. Murugadoss tries to go back and forth with flashbacks – but it is not very cogently done as in AE. Looseness – that’s what I would say characterises the whole effort. Take the songs for instance – most of them just start off when you are not expecting them. It’s very obvious that the director decided there would be n songs in this movie – nothing wrong with that, except that he doesn’t know how to do it. Pathetic editing as well. Pathetic and amateurish usage of Graphics in some of the fight sequences.
Verdict: Murugadoss – You spent eight crores on this ?
Note to Tamil Film Industry: Don’t blame thiruttu VCDs for all your problems. You guys are “the” problem.
Best watched at home where you have more control over the sound.